This quilt was inevitable. Right click to view larger. That thing in the middle is the needle bar of my Bernina Q20. Notice the difference as I lay in the grasses along the edge of the driveway: done on the far left, upper grass done on the near left, upper and lower grasses done on the near right (but not the tall grass which will happen in the final pass back to the right), and no stitching at all.
This photo is not the full quilt, but the quilt is a strong horizontal, and this shows more of it than I’ve shared to date on Facebook. I’ll share the full quilt in mid March when I tape my Quilting Arts TV episode on one of the techniques I’ve developed and used in this quilt.
The photo below, taken in October 2015, was my inspiration, along with every autumn blueberry barrens I have ever seen. The colors in the wild blueberry bushes are just beyond belief. So I dyed a lot of fabric and went to town!
More autumn decay with blueberry barrens, decaying stone wall and birches in autumn in Maine.
The usual edits: smart sharpen, tiny bit of vibrance, crunching levels.
Hand dyeing fabric inspired by the blueberry barrens Maine (they look the same in Nova Scotia, too)
Same colors, different technique, scrunch
Scrunch and done. I used just about every single bit of this piece of fabric except for the more pink bits. The blueberries are more of a russet and burgundy…this needs a touch more yellow in the red to get to that color.
I’m still doing the facings and hanging sleeve…I’ll share the finished quilt in March, unless I change my mind and do it sooner!