Woooohoooo! I got IN! Yep, I am thrilled that I will soon be spending a small fortune to send a 40 x 100 cm quilt to Australia to be in the Living Colour Textiles exhibit! The bad news is that I can’t share a full picture until the exhibit opens at the Australasian Quilt Show in Melbourne in mid-April! But I can share some of the “early” pics…..
The exhibit is called Living Colour, and as the curator Brenda Gael Smith reminded folks, there are two parts to that title! I have been noodling around with an idea for a week-long workshop around the theme Quilting the Good Life (c), and Quilting the Garden as a part of that. The workshop would involve learning my collage and thread-coloring techniques with a small project (similar for all), then moving on to develop a quilt based on one’s own photography or imagery, then quilting it. (If anyone wants to hire me to do this, please write!) This quilt will fit in that rubric! Although I usually use lots of batiks, this quilt was mostly my own hand-dyes with a few batiks. And of course I left it to the last minute to make the quilt! About 10 days before it was due, I dug out the dye pots (above) to make the red fabric in exactly the color and texture I needed, which I did by manually “pleating” the wet fabric and applying dye with a sponge paintbrush.
As long as I had dyes mixed up,
I overdyed some hideously ugly fabric I had made, some in a workshop, some on my own. The beauty of cotton hand-dyes is that if they turn out vile, you can just keep throwing on dye. Either they turn good, or you add more dye and get some great deep browns and mottled forest colors! These are clearly the before shots:
These are the after:
Result: less awful than before, but back in the over-dye (again) pile!
SNEAK PEEK: and finally, here you can see a pile of red off-cuts from my quilt for Living Colour Textiles. I fused the reds with Mistyfuse, cut my shapes, and had leftover bits. Those will go into the next project, a quilt of Eli during cross-country season in his red team uniform of tank and shorts. That one is already in the sketched out, fabrics selected, fusing happening stage! I WILL make more than two quilts this year!
And I had to add Tyger, who decided to help warm some of the fabric by sitting on top (thankfully the plastic extended well beyond the edges of the pan) of the fabrics batching by the woodstove!