ALERT: Joshua, if by chance you are reading this, STOP and GO AWAY! <grin!> Ashley, if YOU are reading this you may, but please don’t share pics with Joshua!
Yes, I am
trying to keep
below the screen line!
It’s worth scrolling….
Yes, I am trying to get the photo below the screen line LOL! In a small miracle, I have made some headway on Joshua’s quilt! He graduated and got his GED in late Spring. I started on it in late winter and hoped to have the top done by graduation. Then I got the chance to make my video workshop (here) and was delayed. Then I had hoped to have all of Autumn to work on it–but offers of articles and two bloghops to promote the now-out DVD intervened. But I did get the diamonds made. Yesterday I FINALLY got to put them up on the design wall, and I AM HAPPY! If Joshua doesn’t like it (I’m sure he will), I’d love to sleep under this.
Clearly the quilt was inspired by Kaffe Fassett’s quilts. I actually prefer the Philip Jacobs and Martha Negley prints to Kaffe’s, but had a lovely stash. There was one print in particular that Joshua liked, so there are ten diamonds in that one, plus I plan to do a pieced “quilt modern-ish” back so the quilt will be two sided. I think the quilt will be about 87 x 95 when done. Yesterday I got the pieces up on the design wall (and partly on the floor):
As I was stitching the edges onto the diamonds, I started popping them up on the wall. What a muddle! Wasn’t happy. So I tried grouping them by center color (large prints) and, when that wasn’t so great, by border color (smaller scale designs/prints). That worked much better, so I chose a simple rainbow flow: reds to orange-ish/yellow to green to blues. When I got to the bottom of the number of rows I needed, I had lots of blues, so used them to fill in the triangles on the tope and sides and really like how the darker strips help contain the quilt. I’ll use a dark-ish blue for a simple binding.
Now I need to upload a few photos to a transfer site in the cloud for my next article for Machine Quilting Unlimited! WOOT!